Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wed. 8/03

1:35pm CDT - Well, once again, I am ending my short "experiment" in discretionary trading. I was up $200 in CL and $60 in ES before giving it all back and then some. I just didn’t have it in me today to fight back (which may be a good thing). I feel like my trading is again at a crossroads as new lows on the year creep into my accounts. ZSMAG had a couple winners but DOE and RO both had losers. Maybe I need new systems too!?

Net breakdown (contracts traded):
ZS -$625(17), ES -$286(3), CL -$255(26)
RESULTS FOR DAY
Contracts:46
Net $P/L:-1167
Wins:11
Losses:17
Win%:39
Avg$Win:147
Avg$Loss:-164

3 comments:

  1. MBA, as a discretionary trader I want nothing to do with mechanical systems, probably to the same degree that you want nothing to do with discretionary plans. It's just the way we're wired. It seems to me that since mechanical systems are based on strictly calculated historical data that maybe the ones you are using just don't have the right pedigree, so to speak. All you can do is execute according to plan. They say the market never changes, that the humans doing the programming follow the same thinking they always have. But I know tomorrow will be different than today in some way. Maybe in a small way; maybe in a big way. Maybe its time to start accepting resumes from new prospects who want the starting job at your office. ....Remember, I'm an IE user and that "data" shows that I'm not so smart (haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You discretionary guys are just more intuitive traders I think. Although I bet you have some kind of system working in your head when you click the mouse (but won't admit it)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'll admit it alright. Thousands of hours of effort and 146 screenshots to create that discretionary system. The last thing I could be accused of is being a gunslinger who shoots at whatever moves.

    ReplyDelete