Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Trade Analysis

You can't manage what you can't measure. Too bad you can't measure the mental side of this business. That's where we all need the most help, typically! But we can measure nearly everything else and the end of the year is a good time to do just that, not to dwell on the past or curse its results, but to reflect and add some objective insight into what worked and what didn't. Then file it in the memory banks, and move forward!

The goal for the year was a 100% return. Far from that, I achieved a loss of -28% or -$22,209. With futures being a zero-sum game, you could conclude that I had a lot more money taken from me by other traders than I took from them. But you would be wrong. I actually grossed +$4,880 on the year, not that there is any silver lining in that! But commissions (Clearing, NFA, & broker's commissions combined) accounted for the loss on the year.

Looking more closely at the numbers below, I found it interesting that ZS was my biggest loss of 2011 and my biggest gain of 2010. Trading my ZS system in March this year was by far the biggest reason for this year's negative result. I lost over $18k trading soybeans in that one month alone.


A few more self explanatory charts below. Most interesting is the last one which shows that trades that were in the market less than 3.75 minutes generally lost money while those that lasted longer contributed to a positive P/L curve. Last year 2.75 minutes seemed to be the turning point.


There wasn't much consistency in 2011 mostly because I jumped around from system to system with some discretionary trading also in the mix. I couldn't get anything to work for any extended length of time. Who knows what 2012 will bring but I will be hard at it and will be repeating the same goal of a 100% return.

10 comments:

  1. MBA,

    Good post, for 2012 I am going to use a decent trading log I modified to fit my own needs thanks to a link your provided in one of your posts (Emini-watch.com) for 2012 I will be documenting as many days as I can my own method.

    Best of luck to you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing that we create our own luck, I concur by saying "Best of luck in 2012, MBA"

    BTW, I learned an interesting fact while back home in Indiana over Christmas break. Your man, Jay Cutler, helped pour the concrete in my parents new home in 1995.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating stuff, Gearhead. This is why I keep coming back to your blog -- not because you win, but because your record keeping is honest and because I'm curious to see when (if) your equity curve becomes smooth and positive.

    Regarding the broker and commissions, that's a common problem for a lot of people. Myself included. My profit margin has slipped to being well below a penny per trade, so a few erroneous routing decisions or substandard edges and I lose money also. Isolating an edge that can have you overcome fees and bootstrapping yourself into a position where you can get a better cost structure is one of the hardest things about being a retail trader.

    -TC

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I should also add that when I tried being a retail trader like you, I found the commissions to be the absolute hardest thing to overcome also. They're just so high that the edges forced me to be super selective. Of course, the retail thing didn't last long because I got reabsorbed into the industry, but one of these days I'm sure I'll have some time to tinker with the retail world again.)

    -TC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this information. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all - good luck to you also in 2012!
    YM, Cutler used to lay concrete? Interesting. Guess we've all had odd jobs in the past...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are you paying for a round trip on CL?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the summary. I'm sure all your work will payoff soon.

    fyi In 2010 I lost 6K over the year but I actually made +2k trading and paid 8k commission costs. Really made me think about how big my edge really was and the high cost you pay for a few impulsive/stupid ideas.

    jzw

    ReplyDelete
  9. Solfest, $4.44/RT all in. You?

    Anon, like TCat said above, it's really tough to cover commission costs. Makes me laugh cynically and angrily at all the touts out there that post how many points, etc. they took out of the market on a given day/week/month but never tell you what their costs were to do that, never post their statements, never say what they pay in commissions, never say how many shares they trade, etc. AND then say it's irrelevant because they are "swing" traders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. $4.64 RT with IB.

    I tried to open a Tradestation account but they don't operate in Alberta anymore.

    Strange.

    ReplyDelete