Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thurs. 8/01

2:45pm CDT - It's a new month and I've decided to suspend trading my TF system, perhaps permanently, perhaps for just a month or two.  Time will tell.  I've made net $740 on it in 2 months but I feel my discretionary trading has more potential at the moment so I'm going to focus on that for August.  This is partly for selfish reasons.  Ignoring the money, the TF System requires that I exit many trades at the close because they do not hit target or stop out during the day.  It's summer and I'd rather be out doing other things in the middle of the afternoon! Or at least have the option to do so and not be a slave to mechanically following my system.
Net breakdown (contracts traded):
ZS $215(2), ES $97(1)
RESULTS FOR DAY
Contracts:3
Net $P/L: 312
Wins: 2
Losses: 0
Win%:100
Avg$Win: 156
Avg$Loss: 0

3 comments:

  1. Instead of abandoning your TF system have you considered just moving your gain target slightly closer so it hits more frequently during these less volatile summer periods? BTW came across your blog a month or so ago and have been following it since looking for ideas to improve my own trading (incidentally I have a couple advanced university degrees too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's complicated, some do well with automate, others do well with discretionary or mix. I personally know one that do well with automate must be her engineering background. On other hand it took many years for Big Mike to give up automate since his background is in computing. Find out who you are then find what works for that type of personality is a long road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the good and bad with trading, there's an infinite number of ways to do it!

    Anon, I did consider that when I was backtesting and optimizing the system but the results overall were worse. I may revisit that and/or look at shorter walk forward optimization periods.

    ReplyDelete