Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Toiling away

2:00pm CST - Not making much progress on my next and best system but it's not for lack of effort. Trying to learn Ninjascript better is causing some delays. It's good (I think) that I'm an optimist because every time I go to backtest what I think will be a great strategy, it proves otherwise. It's enough to demoralize some! But my next system idea is already churning in my head and looks promising just scrolling through the charts. Now to just collect some hard data for each signal and analyze the results. Fingers crossed, rinse and repeat as needed...

9 comments:

  1. I once figured out that I went thru 100-200 strategy ideas before I found a system I could actually profitably trade. I hope you find success sooner than I used to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you take a C# class (online), it might help you. Ninjascript is just C# with some special libraries that NinjaTrader provides. The community colleges in the area might also have some C# programming classes.

    -TC

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep it simple otherwise you won't be able to account for all scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tinkered around with Ninjascript for a while (far from being a programmer), you can find some useful tutorials on You Tube on how to get started. As former engineer, I am sure you wont have any issues figuring out the basics of Ninjascript : )

    I agree 100% with cory, keeping it simple can help with consistency.

    Good luck to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin - that sounds about right! I hope so too!

    TC, cory, Trin - good ideas. KISS is the way to go for sure! And I've often toyed with taking some programming classes and really should just do it. If I had when I first thought about it years ago, I would be much further ahead of the game. I can build basic indicators in Ninja with no problem but the strategy testing and optimizing is another thing entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it simple, keep it discretionary, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PipJaeger, discretionary just doesn't work for me. Trading a backtested system with a proven edge is my only way forward.

    ReplyDelete